Street traders

Who needs a license? 

We have adopted a number of roads within our district as Licensed Streets or Consent Streets. Under the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982, street trading within these areas requires a licence or permit.  Included in street trading is the ability to sell your car at the side of the road. There are a number of licensed street pitches available in Canterbury high street.

Please note that you cannot trade on Wednesdays and Fridays or during the Christmas market days through December and January.

How to apply for a street trading license

An application pack for a street trading licence to trade on a consent street will need to be completed in all cases.

Preparation of a business plan or completion of an application form does not guarantee a pitch to trade anywhere in the district and in many cases permission has to be sought from Kent County Council Highways.

Should you wish to apply for a licence please prepare a business plan to include the following points:-

  • What goods do you hope to sell? 
  • Do you want to operate daily, weekly or any other times as specified in your business plan.  
  • Do you have preference for a particular location to trade.

This should be submitted with the application form, either in the room provided in the document or as a separate plan.  

If you have any questions please contact the Business Support Team.

See also

Busking and street entertainment

A - Z of council services