Disabled facilities grants

Types of adaptations

There are a number of different ways a home can be adapted to make it more accessible and user friendly for an elderly or disabled person. Listed below is some of the work we carry out.

  • Flush floor showers
  • Access ramps
  • Access pathways and hand rails
  • Housing extensions
  • Grab rails

Where to start?

You can carry out an adaption privately or you may apply for a disabled facilities grant towards the cost of the work. In most cases when applying for a grant, the full cost of the work is covered. You should not assume that you will automatically qualify for a grant as they are means tested.  If you would like us to carry out a provisional means test please call us on 01227 862237.

You can find out more information in the disabled facilities grant booklet.

Any application for a disabled facilities grant should first be supported by an occupational therapist. You may contact the County Duty Service at Kent County Council to have an occupational therapist assigned to you.

Occupational therapist referral

Once you have been assigned an occupational therapist they will come and visit you in your home or invite you to an assessment clinic to assess you for your need for an adaptation.

As a guide, your disability must be significantly affecting your ability to carry out at least one of the following essential daily activities:

  1. Accessing essential facilities within the home
  2. Using the toilet
  3. Getting in and out of a bed or chair
  4. Preparing hot drinks and essential food
  5. Maintaining personal hygiene
  6. Getting in and out of your home

Once the need for an adaption has been identified the Occupational Therapist will then send their recommendations for the adaptations through to us at Private Sector Housing.

Survey and application forms

When you reach the top of the waiting list a member of Private Sector Housing will contact you to arrange a convenient time to visit you.

You will be visited by a Housing Standards Officer.

The Housing Standards Officer will survey your property and look into detail at the areas which are to be adapted. This will usually involve a measured survey to provide both you and the contractor with before and after drawings of any proposed work.  They will also help you complete all necessary paperwork and do the final means test.

Getting the work started

Before any work starts on adapting your home we will first send a copy of the proposals to you to make sure that you are completely happy to proceed.

We will then arrange for a minimum of two contractors to quote for the work.

Once all the quotes for the work have been received by Private Sector Housing the grant can be approved by the grants officer and an order placed for the work with the contractor.

The adaptation work

The adaptation work will be carried out during a period of your convenience. All of our contractors are completely trustworthy and may be left working alone in your home should you feel the need to leave your house for any period of time. Once the adaptation work is being carried out, a member of the Private Sector Housing team will visit to check the progress of the work.

The majority of adaptation work we carry out is converting a bathroom into flush floor shower room.


Once the work to your home is completed, you will be given a 12 month defect period. During this period if any fault occurs with any of the adaption items or workmanship then they need to be reported to the contractor to be replaced or fixed.

A - Z of council services